Monday, March 5, 2018

What We're Eating This Week: All The Details

Meal planning + follow through saves my family so much money every month.

Does anyone else out there love to hear about what other people eat? Friends, I spent months watching YouTube videos about budgeting, grocery hauls, and meal planning until things really started to click. Truth be told, grocery shopping is my favorite kind of shopping. Food is my love language, and there is so much good stuff out there to keep on hand. 

Eventually, I got it that I don't need it all, all the time. If I don't have something that sounds so good this week or month, I can plan for it another time. 

What I do need is a plan. And I need to use it. 

Now, what I typically do is check out my freezer, fridge, and pantry for what I already have available. I base my meal plan off of those items, and then fill in the rest with a trip to both Sprouts (amazing prices for produce that still tastes good!) and Costco (the price per unit tends to be great, but if you want to stick to a budget, you'll want to only buy what you need for the next few weeks, instead of everything that looks good. I learned this the hard way.)

I check the calendar for any events we have coming up + the weather. I don't currently have a slow cooker or a pressure cooker, so if we have anything going on or we're going to be outside for awhile after school, I need to plan for that. 

I also take the tastes of my family into account and try not to go too crazy doing it.  I generally say that if 3/4 of the family is pleased with the meal, it's a win. 

Are you curious about what my family of 4 is eating this week?
Here you go! 

Breakfast options
-The rest of the fam is having a love affair with Cinnamon Toast Crunch right now. It was super cheap at Costco this month, and many days they'll opt for a bowl. (I'm not a big cereal eater.)
-Shakeology for the mama (I snagged a good deal on a year at-home gym membership + this gold in a bag, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I also use it for lunch or a snack some days.)
-Kodiak pancakes (I like to make these on days Nolan's school starts later. It feels special, and it's super easy with plenty of protein to keep him going.)
-egg sandwiches on English muffins with a side of fruit
-Sometimes I cook up a bunch of veggies and serve with egg and avocado for myself if I have the time. 

Lunch options
-leftovers (I love leftovers! Anyone else?!)
-Nolan likes a pb and j every day. I make it with quality ingredients, so I know he's getting some nutrients.
-tuna. I scored some Wild Planet tuna on sale at Costco and will probably mix it with some spicy avocado hummus and some cauliflower rice or quinoa and wrap it up in nori. I know I'm weird. 
-veggie burger salads

Snacks
-apple chips (we keep a bunch of these on hand, and I keep them in the car for snack needs while we're out and about)
-hummus with tortilla chips and/or carrots
-celery with peanut butter and raisins (my daughter requested celery on our last shopping trip, but so far, it hasn't been eaten. Time to change that!)

Dinners
-Egg Roll in a Bowl, served with this ramen (we love it, and it's relatively healthy.)
-Lemon Garlic Chicken (Debt Kickin' Mom is one of my FAVORITE budget Instagram accounts. When I saw this recipe on her stories, I knew I had to make it!). I'll serve this with quinoa and roasted broccoli
-Sausage Potato Spinach Soup (We want to try it with some some tortellini this time!)
-Plant Based Meatloaf with roasted veggies and potatoes
-Packed dinner (sandwiches, apple chips, etc.) because we won't be home

We did a larger grocery shopping trip last week, so after planning our meals around what we already have on hand, all I have to pick up this week is cinnamon, 1 can each tomato sauce and tomato paste (I'm going to make my own enchilada sauce, but you can also just buy it.), 1 pound Italian sausage, a few white potatoes, 1 pound of pasta, and 8 ounces of mushrooms. I estimate my total cost will be around $17. 

There you have it! Do you meal plan? I'd love to hear what you're eating eating this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment