Friday, March 2, 2018

Feeding People Doesn't Have to Bust Your Budget

We are more connected than ever, and yet so many of us are still stinking lonely.

Friends, I challenge you to invite someone over for dinner this weekend. Leave your phone in a drawer. Connect.

Most of the most meaningful connections I have experienced have happened over a meal, asking questions to really learn someone else's story, and sharing some of my own. I'm telling you, food is community glue, and listening is the cement.

Now, if you're like me, maybe you're thinking, but hosting a meal
requires energy
effort
money.

And you would be right...but it probably doesn't require as much as you might think.

Are you ready for my biggest tip on hosting?
Start with Simple. 

I grew up watching my grandma create elaborate tablescapes. Friends, her set-ups were fancy. I still enjoy sitting down to all that gorgeousness, but you know what? I also grew up watching my parents welcome whoever needed it to our table. They didn't do a fancy set-up when I was a kid, but our guests still enjoyed the experience because they were welcome.

That is the secret sauce: whatever you do, your guests know if they are welcome. You could have an immaculate house, elaborate meals, the whole thing planned to a T, but you don't need any of that stuff. I have done that route before. I have also done the "kids' toys are staying out because they are still playing, and we made soup, bread, and cookies with the leftover candy we found in our cupboards route."

If you have a gift for creating elaborate set ups and making your guests feel special that way, do it! There's value in sharing that kind of gift because it's a part of who you are. If it's not you, don't force it. Don't worry about it, and absolutely don't use it as a reason for not inviting someone over.

For me, the soup/bread/leftover candy cookies-type meals have been some of my favorites. Those type of set-ups leave me with enough emotional and physical energy to be and connect with the people in front of me, instead of hiding in the kitchen, doing dishes because I'm already spent.

What we need is to connect with one another, not a version of ourselves we think we should be. Do what brings you joy and leaves you with enough energy to be with your people.

Make that soup (I bet you have most of the ingredients for a good one in your kitchen right now!), make or buy some bread, and raid your kitchen to bake some homemade cookies. Done! Now, all that's to be done is to sit down and be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment